Criminal Investigations Bureau
Special Enforcement & Investigations Division - This Division provides investigative and special enforcement elements into solving crime throughout the city. The Commanding Officer shall be assisted by his/her staff to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the division. This division is responsible for the following components:
- Homicide Section - This section is comprised of a task force working with the Essex County Prosecutor's Office and personnel from other jurisdictions within Essex County to investigate homicides.
- Major Crimes Section - This section is responsible for investigating all incidents of gun violence that involve the discharge of a firearm; shooting-hits, shooting-no hits, shots fired and all kidnapping incidents within the City of Newark. This section is responsible for the following organizational subcomponents:
- Robbery Section - This section is responsible for investigating all robberies. Personnel are responsible for preliminary and follow-up investigations.
- Fugitive Apprehension Section - This section is responsible for a pro-active role in bringing fugitives to justice and for serving warrants for offenses where the violator has not responded to the order of the issuing court.
- Special Victims Unit - This unit is responsible for the following organizational components that investigate sex crimes, domestic violence cases, missing persons and Megan's Law offenders:
- Sexual Assault - This unit is responsible for investigating all sex offenses while also providing the necessary social services to a victim.
- Domestic Violence - This unit is responsible for investigating all domestic violence incidents while also providing the necessary social services to a victim.
- Missing Persons - This unit is responsible for investigating all missing persons within the City of Newark.
- Megan's Law -This unit registers and tracks sexual offenders that are required to register with the Newark Police Division.
- Youth Aid Section - This section assists juvenile offenders who have committed minor juvenile delinquency offenses by avoiding a formal juvenile record. A stationhouse adjustment is issued to an offender to provide immediate consequences such as community service, restitution or a prompt and convenient resolution for the victim.
- Auto Squad - This unit is responsible for the investigation of vehicle thefts, chop-shop operations, and abandoned vehicles. The unit processes all vehicles towed by the Division.
- Crime Scene Unit - This unit is responsible for the collection, recording, processing and preservation of all evidence and related items found at crime scenes including, but not limited to, photographs and fingerprints.
- Records Management - This unit is responsible for processing, filing and maintaining records.
- License Unit -This unit investigates applicants and holders of all issued licenses and permits relating to restaurants, liquor establishments, amusement rides and firearms.
- Ballistics Laboratory - The Ballistics Laboratory is responsible for the examination of materials, specimens of firearms, anununition and related objects recovered from crime scenes. Personnel are also responsible for the presentation of court testimony regarding analyzed evidence recovered from a crime scene.
- Criminal Intelligence Section - Criminal Intelligence covertly gathers information related to criminal activity. Personnel are assigned to specific geographical areas to develop intelligence. Criminal Intelligence monitors all shots fired and disseminates intelligence accordingly. In addition this unit encompasses personnel that are assigned to "CrimeStoppers" which publicizes information to encourage the public to report criminal activity and to become more involved with the safety of their community. This section is responsible for the following organizational subcomponents:
- Real Time Crime Center - This center allows the division to instantaneously share intelligence with other agencies in an attempt to hinder cnme.
- Narcotic Unit - This unit investigates drug distribution syndicates and narcotic-related crime.